5 Best Above Ground Pool Vacuums
Before you and the kids can get to splashing around, you’ll need to give your pool a little TLC in the form of a good deep cleaning.
With so many pool cleaners on the market, it can be paralyzing trying to choose the right one for your needs. Luckily for you, our experts have extensively researched and tested the best pool vacuums out there. Check out our list of the top five best vacuums for above-ground pools.
PV Pool Cleaner is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
Our picks for the best above ground pool vacuum cleaners are:
- Dolphin E-10 – Best for hands-off cleaning
- AIPER Seagull 600 Cordless – Best cordless design
- Polaris Vac-Sweep – Best pressure side
- Pentair K50600 Kreepy Krauly E-Z – Most affordable
- Pool Blaster Max – Most versatile
If you’re looking for a way to reduce your maintenance and keep your pool spotless while saving money, then read on below to get our picks for the best above ground pool cleaners.
1. Dolphin E-10
The Best for Hands-Off Cleaning
Our recommendation for the best above-ground pool vacuum on the market is the Dolphin E-10 Robotic Pool Cleaner. This compact unit offers a 3-stage filtration system with a durable zippered bag, which our pros found easy to empty and clean.
It also features energy-efficient technology and a shutoff timer to safeguard against accidental overfilling. The Dolphin E-10 is one of the easiest vacuums to use, making it ideal for new pool owners and people who want the most straightforward and efficient option for cleaning their above-ground pool.
- Powerful suction motor
- Large single click basket filter
- High-speed scrubbing brush in the front
- Easy to use and clean
- Powerful suction, even on uneven surfaces
- Energy efficient
- Maximum range of 30ft may be unsuitable for larger pools
- High price tag
The Dolphin E-10 is an excellent choice for pool owners who want to be minimally involved in the cleaning process and don’t mind spending a little extra to have their own robotic helper.
2. AIPER Seagull 600 Cordless
The Best Cordless Design
For those looking for a cordless robotic cleaner for their above-ground pool, the AIPER Seagull 600 is the way to go. The AIPER can service a pool of up to 30 feet in diameter and has a battery life of about 50 minutes, which our experts found to be plenty of time to clean a well-kept pool.
Since you won’t have to worry about finding an outlet or de-tangling cords, this unit is one of the most versatile and convenient robotic cleaners. All you have to do is drop it into the water and walk away. It’s also extremely lightweight, making it easy to transport and store.
- Two bottom scraper brushes
- Dual drive motors
- Highly versatile thanks to the cordless design
- Smart cleaning system avoids redundancy and waste
- Portable and lightweight
- May not clean as effectively as other vacuums
- On the expensive side
In our opinion, the Aiper Seagull 600 is the best choice if you’re looking for a cordless robotic pool cleaner.
3. Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 6-130-00
Best Pressure Side Vacuum
This above-ground-specific model blasts the sides and bottom of your pool with water to flush debris out of hard-to-reach crevices, working in conjunction with your pool’s built-in pump and filtration system. This makes it an ideal solution for cleaning a bunched-up nylon floor.
The Polaris Vac-Sweep can be installed in minutes and works automatically, leaving you free to do other things. It can serve a depth of up to five feet, and its hose stretches to a maximum of 24 feet, so you may wish to choose another model if you’re working with a larger surface area.
- Jet sweep assembly
- Removable filter bag to catch debris
- 24-foot float hose
- Once installed, it operates automatically with no need for supervision
- More affordable than other models
- Able to clean out crevices that other vacuums may not reach
- Takes a long time (about three hours)
- Overall cleaning may not be as effective as other models
Our pool cleaning experts find the Polaris Vac-Sweep to be the best performing pressure side automatic above-ground pool cleaner on the market and recommend this model to anyone whose pool has a lot of hard-to-clean crevices.
4. Pentair K50600 Kreepy Krauly E-Z
The Most Affordable
Don’t let this product’s quirky name weird you out. In our opinion, the Kreepy Krauly is the best suction side vacuum available for above-ground pools. In addition to being one of the more affordable models out there, the Kreepy Krauly’s simplified design means a longer lifespan and less risk of expensive repairs or part replacements down the line.
Our pros found this unit quick and easy to install. It’s also quieter, meaning you can run it overnight without disruptions.
- Free-skimming valve to regulate water flow
- Adjustable suction
- 32-foot hose
- Only one mechanical moving part, lessening the risk of wear and tear
- Easy to assemble and install
- Not compatible with every above-ground pool brand
- May not clean ladders effectively
- Takes a long time (about three hours)
This model is an excellent choice for above-ground pools that don’t have ladders and owners who don’t mind a longer cleaning time.
5. Pool Blaster Max
This model is a great choice for pool owners who don’t mind manually cleaning their pools but want their vacuum to do just a little bit of everything. The Pool Blaster Max comes with different attachments depending on whether you need a full deep clean or a quick spot cleaning session, and it can run for up to one hour before the lithium-ion battery needs to be recharged.
Having a cordless model is essential with a manual vacuum. It increases the unit’s versatility and makes it much easier to maneuver while cleaning. Attach the Pool Blaster Max to your telescopic cleaning pole to reach the bottom of your above-ground pool with ease.
- Removable vacuum head
- Nose cap for cleaning corners
- Reusable multilayered filter bag
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Cordless design for convenience and versatility
- Great value for the price
- Lightweight and durable
- Not automatic
- Suction may not be as powerful as other models
The Pool Blaster Max is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a manual vacuum that is easy to use and will allow them to clean their above-ground pool quickly and efficiently.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Vacuum Do I Need for an Above-Ground Pool?
The best vacuum for your above-ground pool depends on your specific needs and your pool’s design.
If your pool has many tiny crevices or wrinkles that trap dirt and debris, a pressure-side vacuum may be the best choice. If you have a busy schedule and want your pool cleaned without supervision, choose a robotic or automatic vacuum.
What’s the Easiest Way to Vacuum an Above-Ground Pool?
The steps for clearing your above-ground pool vary depending on the type of vacuum and how frequently you clean the water. Here’s a basic rundown of the measures you should take for maximum ease and efficiency.
- Remove any large objects or debris, such as toys and branches. Check the pump and filter system to make sure everything is functioning correctly.
- Inspect your vacuum. If it’s a manual model, make sure you have all the necessary attachments; if it’s automatic, ensure it’s working correctly; if cordless, make sure it’s fully charged.
- Connect your vacuum to the filtration system. The method for doing this varies depending on the type of vacuum you’re using. Make sure you save the included guide from your model for reference.
- If using a manual machine, use long, slow strokes, keeping the vacuum flush with the bottom of the pool to maintain suction. If using an automatic model, sit back and wait for the cleaner to run through its cycle.
- Rinse and dry your vacuum, then store it in a safe place to be ready for next time. Taking care of your machine will increase its lifespan and ensure your cleaner is always ready when you need it.
How Do You Take Care of a Pool?
During the summer months, it’s a good idea to stay on top of your pool’s cleaning and maintenance by regularly running your vacuum, especially if you and your family are frequent swimmers. This will help prevent algae growth, ensuring your family stays healthy.
Keeping your pool covered when not in use will go a long way toward keeping the water clear and giving your vacuum less work to do, which will help prolong the life of your unit.
How Long Does It Take to Vacuum an Above-Ground Pool?
Our experts have generally found that vacuuming a smaller, well-maintained pool can take as little as 20 minutes. A larger or particularly dirty pool may take closer to 45 minutes. Of course, some automatic models like the Kreepy Krauly take much longer; their advantage is that you can leave them running without supervision.
The Bottom Line
Owners and enjoyers of above-ground pools, rejoice! There are many great vacuums for every budget and pool design. If you’re still feeling paralyzed by all the choices, don’t panic; you can’t go wrong by choosing one of these 5 cleaning units hand-picked by our experts. Whether you’re looking for a manual vacuum or a robot to clean your pool automatically, you’ll find what you’re looking for on this list of the top 5 best above-ground pool vacuums.
About the Author
Stefan Schulz is the founder and owner of PV Pool Cleaner. He spent his college years working at Niagara Pools and Spas, one of the largest Swimming Pool and Hot Tub Dealers in the Eastern United States.
Today, he utilizes his background, experience as a pool owner, and the resources of his digital marketing agency, Orpical Group, to generate informative and engaging content for pool owners everywhere.